Super Seed Crackers
These crackers are fantastic. Inspired by Kim Morrison at Like Chocolate for Women who, I believe, has interpreted them from a Sarah Wilson of I quit sugar fame recipe, they may have questionable (but very credible) lineage but they are delicious, healthy and very easy to make. Seriously the hardest part of making them is peeling the garlic!
And as if that wasn’t enough, they are also gluten, grain and nut free so they can go to school as well!
Super Seed Crackers
- ½ cup Pepita seeds
- ½ cup Sunflower seed
- ½ cup Sesame seeds
- ½ cup Chia seeds
- 2 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- I tsp Dulse flakes (a type of seaweed – optional but super healthy and you won’t know they are there)
- 110 ml/7 ½ fluid ounces Water
- Optional – Small bunch of herbs – Parsley, Basil, Thyme, Oregano – one variety or a mixture
- Optional – 1 tsp Turmeric
You will also need a large oven tray lined with baking paper
Method – Non Thermomix
- Pre heat oven to 150 degrees Celsius/300 degrees Fahrenheit
- If using herbs, place them in food processor and chop till fine (you may prefer to do this by hand)
- Remove herbs to another bowl
- Place Pepita seeds in food processor and process for a few seconds until they are roughly the size of half a sunflower seed – some smaller than that is not a problem. (see photo)
- Add Sunflower seeds and pulse for a couple of seconds.
- Add Sesame seeds and Chia seeds and pulse to mix together.
- Add chopped garlic, salt, dulse and herbs and turmeric (if using) and blend together by processing for a couple of seconds.
- Add water and process to a paste
- Spread paste on lined tray until about 3mm thick. A spatula is good for this job. It should spread to a slab approximately 30 x 20 cm
- Place in oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes take out of oven and flip over on other side. Remove baking paper. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- Slab should not be browned but “dried out”. Place on cutting board and chop into desired sized pieces. This is easier to do when the “slab” is warm.
Thermomix instructions for steps 2 – 9 above
Chop garlic 5 sec/spd
Add herbs if using 5 sec/spd 6. Remove to another bowl
Add pepitas Chop 6 sec/ Spd 8
Add Sunflower seeds 1 sec/Turbo
Add Sesame seeds and Chia Seeds, salt, dulse and turmeric if using. Mix 4 secs/spd 4
Add Water. Mix 4 secs/spd 4
continue at step 9 above
Use them as dippers, as a bread or dry biscuit replacement, for snacks or to nibble on by themselves. So much better for you than potato chips!
Yes, they are very good!
You are welcome!