I wanted to make peppermint patties. Ones like the ones I used to get at the milk bar when I was a kid. So after hunting around my pantry and the internet, I’ve come up with this little recipe, influenced by one from www.ohsheglows.com . Thank you Angela for the inspiration.
I remember as a kid how much I used to love the floaty fudgy texture of Mint Patties. I wasn’t really into peppermint flavour as a kid, but my gosh there really was nothing like that light as air fudginess of that green foil wrapped beauty. It was the one minty thing I loved.
But as with so many commercial confections, that texture is created by a concoction of all sorts of ‘interesting” ingredients like these:
*Sugar, Glucose Syrup (Wheat), Vegetable Fat (Emulsifier ), Milk Solids, Cocoa, Gelatine, Food Acid (Citric Acid), Emulsifiers (Soy Lecithin, 476), Flavourings, Enzyme (Invertase), Salt. Contains 30% Compound Chocolate
Now if I’m going to be honest, I’ve seen ingredient lists on confectionery that are a lot worse than this, make not mistake about that. But the fact is, there is not a lot on this list that I can find easily in nature, let alone cook with at home. And I’m all about eating real food, food that can be produced in a domestic kitchen. So I set about finding an option that was going to hit the mark as far as taste and texture go. I won’t lie to you, these little babies don’t have that fudgy light as air Daryl Lea Nougat Easter Egg texture but I think if I mucked around for a while with some grass fed gelatin and the butterfly (read whipping accessory) on my Thermomix, I might be able to get somewhere with that. Hmmm, I’ve just given myself a new challenge. I’ll get back to you on that.
Use quality peppermint oil and real food
So until I do some more experimenting……these little guys will not disappoint. They are flavoured with Peppermint Essential Oil, sweetened with maple syrup and coated in organic fairtrade chocolate. I only use the highest quality essential oils in my food and cooking and for that reason, I use doTERRA** essential oils and have done for some time, because I know they are absolutely safe for consumption and have beautiful therapeutic benefits too.
So here’s the recipe.
You’ll need, mini cup cake pans/liners like these . You can use whatever mould you like but I found these easy to manage. You could probably save them and use them again too.
Makes approximately 40
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in filtered water for at least 3 hours (aside from making the nuts healthier and easier to digest, it also makes them easier to blend smooth)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup (or to taste)
- 7 drops doTERRA Peppermint Essential Oil
- 200 grams organic fair trade dark chocolate
- Drain cashews well and place in blender/Thermomix along with coconut oil, coconut butter, maple syrup and peppermint oil.
- Blend at high speed until cashews have become completely smooth and you have quite a runny paste. Scrape down during the process as neccessary.
- Pour the mixture into individual mini cup cake pans, about 3 – 4 millimetres (1/8 inch) deep and place on a tray in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
- After the 2 hours or more have passed, melt the chocolate in a double boiler arrangement – I use a bowl set up over a small saucepan of simmering water and ensure that the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl (I find this is the easiest method for dipping and clean up purposes- I don’t use a microwave but that’s up to you).
- Lay a piece of greaseproof/baking paper on a flat tray capable of fitting in the fridge
- Once the chocolate has melted, take the peppermints from the fridge and one at a time, remove them from their little cases. As you remove each one, dip it (so it’s still nice and chilled) in the chocolate. With a couple of forks, toss it around until completely coated in chocolate, allow the excess to drain off and then place on a tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Pop the coated chocolates back in the fridge and allow to set.
I hope you love these as much as I do.
*The actual ingredients in a Nestle Mint Pattie
**If you’d like to know more about beautiful doTERRA Essential Oils, please send me an email. I’d love to chat.